As a woman ages, due to both intrinsic as well as extrinsic causes, her breasts will often droop and appear to rest at a lower position on her chest. This can be apparent both on frontal views as well as profile views. A breast lift (mastopexy) is a surgical procedure that can restore two facets – shape and position – that contributes significantly to breast beauty. It can also change the size, shape and position of the areolas to make them look more youthful and attractive.
Dr. Galiano’s Cosmetic Surgery Philosophy
I believe that the best result in cosmetic surgery is one that looks natural, is long-lasting and is tailored to your physical traits and your desires. This is achieved through the judicious use of both minimally invasive as well as surgical procedures, depending on your needs and your wishes. My main goal is simple: I want to make you happy.
In regards to breast lifts, the procedure is done to address as many of the different variables that contributes to a droopy breast. Since the tradeoff is a scar, I try whenever possible to perform the procedure through a vertical mastopexy (modified LeJour technique) that leaves a vertical scar. This allows me to achieve the most beautiful breast shape possible: a breast that has as few scars on the skin as possible, that projects and is perky, and will maintain its new shape and position for many years. For those patients that are nor candidates for a vertical mastopexy (or short-scar procedure), I perform a procedure that has been modified to provide patients with the shape-enhancing benefits of a vertical mastopexy, and ensure that the scars will be positioned in a way to minimize their visibility.
To view results from previous Chicago breast lift patients, visit our breast lift before and after photo gallery.
What to Expect During Breast Lift Surgery
- The main goal is to reposition and reshape the breasts (the skin, the breast tissue, and the nipple/areola) to provide a shapely, conical, projecting and aesthetically proportionate appearance. Women desire breast lifts for many different reasons. Some women have always had droopier breasts; others have experienced more droop as they have aged or after pregnancies or breast-feeding. In some women, the breast tissue has fallen but the nipple is in a good position. In other women, all the landmarks of the breast have fallen. There are many techniques that Dr. Galiano will choose from in order to address your particular situation. Your breasts will be fuller, shapelier and positioned in a manner that better suits your frame. In addition, your nipples and areolae will appear smaller, more defined and more youthful-appearing. You may experience a heightened sense of self-esteem and confidence as well.
Good Candidates for a Breast Lift
- In general, if you are over 18 years of age and are in good health you are likely an excellent candidate for a breast lift/mastopexy. If you have lost a significant amount of breast tissue and wish to have more volume in your breast, for example after weight loss or pregnancy, you may also benefit from an augmentation-mastopexy surgery, which includes both a breast lift and a breast augmentation. Dr. Galiano will discuss this with you at your consultation. If you are obese, in poor health, are still nursing or have breast health issues then you are probably not a good candidate for a breast lift/mastopexy.
About the Mastopexy Procedure
- The procedure is done in the operating room under general anesthesia or sedation with local anesthesia. It usually lasts between 2-4 hours, and patients go home the same day.Women’s breasts come in all shapes and sizes, and they change and age in a multitude of different ways. Because of this, there is not a “one size fits all” type of operation, and the exact type of procedure that will be performed will be discussed with you during your consultation.In general, breast lifts can result in a scar solely around the areola (crescent or peri-areolar mastopexy), an areolar scar with a vertical scar (“lollipop” or circumvertical mastopexy) or an areolar scar, a vertical scar, and a transverse scar at the base of the breast (an “anchor” type of mastopexy, or Wise pattern type). The main goal Dr. Galiano has is to enhance the shape. Although to reach this goal the scars should be considered secondary, he does try to minimize the scars as much as possible. He does greatly prefer to use the relatively newer circumvertical technique as much as possible, since it combines a wonderful ability to create a long-lasting new shape while minimizing the length of scar created. Dr. Galiano will let you know which procedure you are a candidate for during the consultation.
- Dr. Galiano uses validated techniques to minimize the pain that is typically associated with breast surgery. Most patients need a few days off work, but should be able to walk, go out to dinner or shopping even the day after the procedure. Pain is very patient-specific, but most patients will not have significant pain. There will be swelling, some variable amount of bruising, and some firmness initially. Depending on the technique used, the breasts will settle out into a reasonable shape between 6 weeks and 6 months after your procedure. Mild changes and improvement of the scar (see Scars) will continue to take place during the first year after your procedure. You should not drive for 2 weeks after your procedure, and although you may do mild exercises as soon as you feel up to it, you will be asked not to perform any exercises that cause your breasts to bounce (i.e., running) for 1 month after your procedure.
Breast Lift Surgery Risks
Any surgical procedure has risks, and you will be given a full discussion of these during your breast lift consultation in Chicago. Some known risks include the following:
- Temporary or permanent loss of nipple sensation
- Changes in your mammogram
Dr. Galiano will go over these risks, and will discuss ways that he minimizes the chances of them occurring.
SCHEDULE A CONSULTATION FOR BREAST LIFT SURGERY
Please call our office at (312) 926-4382 or follow this link.