Breast Reduction in Chicago
Surgery to Reduce Breast Size
Excessively large, heavy breasts can cause significant health and psychological problems in women. These include back, neck and shoulder pain, rashes underneath the breasts, numbness in the hands and arms. Excessively large breasts can also cause social embarrassment, and restrict the ability of women to exercise or find comfortable bras. A breast reduction is a therapeutic procedure that seeks to remove the excess breast tissue and skin in order to improve a woman’s symptoms, while at the same time ensuring that the results attained are attractive. Dr. Galiano is widely recognized as an expert in breast reduction surgery.
Dr. Galiano’s philosophy regarding cosmetic surgery and breast reduction
I believe that the best result in cosmetic surgery is one that looks natural, is long-lasting and is tailored to your physical traits and your desires. This is achieved through the judicious use of both minimally invasive as well as surgical procedures, depending on your needs and your wishes. My main goal is simple: I want to make you happy.
In regards to breast reduction surgery, there are many complementary goals that I accomplish during the procedure. I believe that removing breast tissue and making a breast smaller is easy; what requires great skill is simultaneously delivering an aesthetically beautiful result while minimizing complications. My goal is to provide an aesthetically beautiful result that allows a woman to feel more comfortable, relieves any physical discomfort she may have had from her weighty breasts, permits her to exercise and fit better into clothing and bras. I consider a breast reduction operation to be a satisfying blend of a therapeutic/reconstructive operation and a cosmetic procedure.
There are many different techniques used by surgeons. In general, I try whenever possible to minimize the amount of scar by performing a vertical breast reduction (also known as a LeJour or “short-scar”) breast reduction. The main benefit of this technique is actually not the shorter scar, in my opinion, but instead the beautiful shape that is achieved and that persists for many years. I will let you know if you are a candidate for the short-scar procedure at the time of your consultation. If you are not a candidate for a short-scar technique, I will use a modified technique that will also give you beautiful, shapely breasts that will maintain their shape over the long-term.
See the results of my real patients who have undergone breast reduction in the breast reduction before and after gallery.
What should I expect from a breast reduction?
- Primarily, your breasts will be smaller, less heavy, and will also be lifted. I consider it paramount that each procedure I do is performed to also achieve an ideal aesthetic outcome The main goal is to reposition and reshape the breasts (the skin, the breast tissue, and the nipple/areola) and to remove the required amount of breast tissue that will both make you feel better, as well as provide a beautiful contour to your breasts. Your breasts will be fuller, shapelier and positioned in a manner that better suits your frame. In addition, your nipples and areolae will appear smaller, more defined and more youthful-appearing. A breast reduction will always lift your breasts as well. You may experience a heightened sense of self-esteem and confidence as well.
Am I a candidate for a breast reduction?
- In general, if you are over 18 years of age and are in good health you are likely an excellent candidate for a breast reduction. Occasionally, younger patients may require a breast reduction for therapeutic purposes. Dr. Galiano will discuss this with you at your consultation. If you are morbidly obese, in poor health, are nursing or have breast health issues then you are probably not a good candidate for a breast reduction.
Oftentimes, a breast reduction is covered by insurance. In general, insurance coverage is possible when your excessively heavy breasts cause significant symptoms (back, neck, and shoulder pain, rashes) that have not responded to conservative measures, such as strengthening exercises, custom bras, and/or physical therapy. Please check with your insurance company to obtain a listing of their policies.
The best way to determine if your insurance company will cover your breast reduction is to see Dr. Galiano for a consultation – he will inform you of your options and assist you.
How does Dr. Galiano perform a breast reduction?
- The procedure is done in the operating room under general anesthesia. It usually lasts between 3-5 hours, and most patients go home the same day.
Women’s breasts come in all shapes and sizes, and they change and age in a multitude of different ways. Because of this, this is not a “one size fits all” type of operation, and the exact type of procedure that will be performed will be discussed with you during your consultation.
Dr. Galiano prefers to do breast reductions in the appropriate patient through a vertical technique (also known as a modified LeJour or “short-scar” type of breast reduction). This is actually not done solely to minimize the scar length but as importantly to provide a beautiful, long-lasting shape to the breast. If an anchor-type (also referred to as an “inverted-T’ or “Wise pattern) type of breast reduction is indicated for your breasts, then Dr. Galiano will ensure that the procedure is performed in a modified manner to ensure that your breast shape is not compromised. Either way, Dr. Galiano will focus on providing a beautiful result. This is why liposuction is considered a part of most breast reductions.
What can I expect during the recovery period?
- Dr. Galiano uses validated techniques to minimize the pain that is typically associated with breast surgery. Most patients do not need drains after the procedure or special bras – as a matter of fact, no bras are used during the first 2 weeks to minimize any wound healing complications. Most patients benefit from being away from work for at least one week, and ideally two weeks. Pain is very patient-specific, but most patients will not have significant pain when they have the procedure performed by Dr. Galiano. There will be swelling, some variable amount of bruising, and some firmness initially. Depending on the technique used, the breasts will settle out into a reasonable shape between 6 weeks and 6 months after your procedure. Mild changes and improvement of the scar (see Scars) will continue to take place during the first year after your procedure. You should not drive for 2 weeks after your procedure, and although you may do mild exercises as soon as you feel up to it, you will be asked not to perform any exercises that cause your breasts to bounce (i.e., running) for 6 weeks after your procedure.
What are some of the risks of a breast reduction?
- Any surgical procedure has risks, and you will be given a full discussion of these during your consultation. Some known risks include the following:
- Temporary or permanent loss of nipple sensation
- Changes in your mammogram
- Small wounds
Dr. Galiano will go over these risks, and will discuss ways that he minimizes the chances of them occurring.
How can I schedule a consultation?
- Please call our office at 312-695-4778