Breast Augmentation in Chicago
Breast Implant Surgery
Breast augmentation procedures are currently the most popular cosmetic operations performed in the United States. There are many reasons women desire a fuller bust shape, and many different ways to achieve that shape. If surgery is an option that you are considering, it is important that you obtain as much information as possible prior to your consultation.
Dr. Galiano’s philosophy regarding cosmetic surgery and breast augmentation
I believe that the best result in cosmetic surgery is one that looks natural, is long-lasting and is tailored to your physical traits and your desires. This is achieved through the judicious use of both minimally invasive as well as surgical procedures, depending on your needs and your wishes. My main goal is simple: I want to make you happy.
In regards to breast augmentation, the goal is not simply to create larger breasts. My goal is to provide well-proportioned and shapely breasts, and the main focus is shape. As I tell all my breast patients, what makes a breast beautiful is not size but rather shape. Every woman’s physique and underlying anatomy is different. A procedure or size implant that works well on one woman may not be suitable for another woman. I pride myself on being able to utilize many different techniques in order to give you the breasts that you have always dreamed of having.
See the results of my real patients who have undergone breast implants in the breast augmentation Chicago before and after gallery.
What should I expect from a breast augmentation?
- The main goal is to give you the size breasts that you desire without sacrificing proportionality, and to do this in a safe manner. Women desire breast augmentations for many different reasons. Some women have always been small-chested and self-conscious about how they look in bathing suits or certain clothing. Some have a significant asymmetry between their breasts that they wish to have corrected. Other women may have breast fed, and liked the way their breasts looked when full and now feel that they have lost some breast volume. All of these reasons are valid reasons to wish to have a breast augmentation. Your breasts will be fuller, shapelier, and your chest area should be more proportional and in harmony with the rest of your body. You may experience a heightened sense of self-esteem and confidence as well.
Am I a candidate for a breast augmentation?
- In general, if you are over 18 years of age, are well-informed of the benefits and risks of breast implants, and are in good health you are likely an excellent candidate for a breast augmentation. If you have more than a mild degree of breast drop, for example after weight loss or pregnancy, you may also benefit from a breast lift (mastopexy) as well in a procedure called an augmentation-mastopexy. Dr. Galiano will discuss this with you at your consultation. If you are obese, in poor health or have breast health issues then you are probably not a good candidate for a breast augmentation.
How does Dr. Galiano perform a breast augmentation?
- The procedure is done in the operating room under general anesthesia or sedation with local anesthesia. It lasts between 1-2 hours, and patients go home the same day.
Implants can be safely inserted through one of 3 incisions: underneath the breast (the inframammary incision), through an incision around the areola (peri-areolar incision) or in the armpit (the transaxillary incision). The choice of which incision to use is dictated by your wishes as well as by your anatomy. In general, most patients choose the inframammary incision or the transaxillary incision. The peri-areolar incision is more commonly used when a lift or an areolar reduction is to be performed at the same time, or in cases where there is severe constriction of the breast mound (the so-called tuberous breast). Dr. Galiano will discuss all these options with you – you will make a decision together.
Implants can also be safely placed either above the chest muscles (the subglandular pocket), underneath the muscle (the sub-pectoral pocket) or in a combination of the two (a dual-plane procedure). Dr. Galiano usually places implants in the dual-plane location – most of the implant is situated underneath the pectoralis muscle, but the muscle is divided inferiorly to allow the implant to settle in a more anatomically correct location. This usually gives the most natural looking result. In general, there are benefits and drawbacks to both, and the ultimate decision of where to place the implant will be made at the time of your consultation.
There are two major types of implants: saline and silicone. It is important to know that both are approved by the FDA, and are considered safe to use in women. They both have advantages and disadvantages, and neither should be considered a permanent implant. In other words, implants do not last forever, and will likely need to be replaced at some point. In general, silicone implants provide a more natural feel in most women.
What can I expect during the recovery period?
- Dr. Galiano uses validated techniques to minimize the pain that is typically associated with breast implant placement. Most patients need a few days off work, but should be able to walk, go out to dinner or shopping even the day after the procedure. Pain is very patient-specific, but most patients will not have significant pain when they have the procedure performed by Dr. Galiano. There will be swelling, some variable amount of bruising, and some firmness initially. By 3 months, the implants will have settled slightly into an even more natural position, and most of the swelling and firmness will have dissipated. Mild changes and improvement of the scar (see Scars) will continue to take place during the first year after your procedure. You should not drive for 2 weeks after your procedure, and although you may do mild exercises as soon as you feel up to it, you will be asked not to perform any exercises that cause your breasts to bounce (i.e., running) for 1 month after your procedure.
What are some of the risks of a breast augmentation?
- Any surgical procedure has risks, and you will be given a full discussion of these during your consultation. Some known risks include the following:
· Scarring · Temporary loss of nipple sensation · Pain · Palpability of the implants · Capsular contracture
Dr. Galiano will go over these risks, and will discuss ways that he minimizes the chances of them occurring.
How can I schedule a consultation?
- Please call our office at 312-695-4778